Welcome to the research group website of Dr. Xianqiao Wang at the University of Georgia. The ultimate goal of our research is to understand how small scale physical phenomena lead to some particular observable mechanical, electrical and/or biological properties by virtue of theoretical analyses, computational modelings and experimental investigations, and then encompass these findings into materials by design. Our current research mainly focuses on computational nanomechanics; nanocrystalline materials; mechanics of hierarchical structure in biology such as bone, shell and nacre; bio-inorganic interfaces; 2D nanomaterials and nanostructures; cell and nanoparticle interactions; cortical foldings; instability due to biological growth etc. You will find more in-depth information about our ongoing projects and cutting-edge results in the Research and Publications pages.
Research topics include:
> Computational nanomechanics
> 2D nanomaterials and nanostructures
> Bio-inspired and bio-mimetic materials
> Brain folding
> Cell and nanoparticle interactions
> Bio-inorganic interfaces
Bioinspired materials modeling
- 09/2015, Nicholas (my undergraduate researcher) published a paper "Failure Mechanisms and Scaling Laws of Nanoporous Aluminum: A Computational Study" in the Advanced Engineering Materials. Congrats.
- 09/2015, Jalil published a paper "Cortical Folding Pattern and its Consistency Induced by Biological Growth" in the Scientific Reports. Congrats.
- 08/2015, Jalil published a paper "Role of Mechanical Factors in Cortical Folding Development" in the Physical Review E. Congrats.
- 07/2015, Matt published a paper "Grain-size Dependence of Mechanical Properties in Polycrystalline Boron-Nitride: A Computational Study" in the Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. Congrats.
- 06/2015, Liuyang published a paper "Coarse-grained Modeling of Vesicle Responses to Active Rotational Nanoparticles" in the Nanoscale. Congrats.
- 06/2015, Liuyang published a paper "Nanotube-enabled Vesicle-Vesicle Communication: A Computational Model" in the Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters. Congrats.
- 04/2015, Heng published a paper "Molecular Dynamic Study of CNT/Buckyball-enabled Energy Absorption System" in thePhysical Chemistry Chemical Physics. Congrats.
- 02/2015, Nicholas was awarded a CURO fellowship for Spring 2015 to conduct research in our Lab. Congrats.
- 02/2015, Liuyang published a paper "Designing Nanoparticle Translocation through Cell Membranes by Varying Amphiphilic Polymer Coatings" in the Journal of Physical Chemistry B. Congrats.
- 01/2015, Matt published a paper "Computational Study on the Effects of Annealing on the Mechanical Properties of Polycrystalline Graphene" in the journal of Carbon, Congrats.
- 01/2015, Matt published a paper "On the Crumpling of Polycrystalline Graphene by Molecular Dynamics Simulation" in the journal of Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. Congrats.
- 12/2014, Liuyang published a paper "Mechanisms of Graphyne-enabled Cholesterol Extraction from Protein Cluster" in the journal of RSC Advances. Congrats.
- 11/2014, Jalil published a paper "Morphological Patterns of a Growing Biological Tube in a Constrained Environment with Contacting Boundary" in the journal of RSC Advances. Congrats.
- 10/2014, our paper "Quantitative Nanomechanical Charaterization of the van der Waals Interfaces between Carbon Nanotubes and Epoxy" was accepted for publication in the journal of Carbon.
- 10/2014, our paper " Mechanical Analysis of Graphene-based Woven Nano-Fabric" was accepted for publication in the journal of Materials Science and Engineering: A.
- 10/2014, Matthew Sullivan (Matt S), Nicholas Winter, Shian Williams, Heather Huynh, four undergraduate students joins our research group as undergraduate researchers. Welcome!
- 10/2014, Matthew was selected for a SAME - Georgia Scholarship from the Georgia Engineering Foundation. Congrats.
- 10/2014, our paper "Graphene Folding on Flat Substrates" was accepted for publication in Journal of Applied Physics.
- 10/2014, Dr. Wang with his colleagues, Professor Changhong Ke, Professor Xiaowei Zeng, and Professor Pablo D. Zavattieri, organizes a mini-symposium on the 51st Society of Engineering Science Annual Technical Meeting held at Purdue University.
- 08/2014, Ms. Heng Chen, a PhD candidate from NUAA (China), joins our research group as visiting scholar for six months. Welcome!
- 07/2014, Pablo (REU undergraduate from University of Puerto Rico at Bayamon) was recognized as the top 3 out of 10 students in the final poster presentation of NanoBio REU site at UGA and recommneded to attend the REU conference in DC in October to represent UGA NanoBio REU site.
- 07/2014, Matthew and Liuyang published a journal paper on Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. Congrats.
- 06/2014, Liuyang published a journal paper on Journal of Chemical Theory and Computation. Congrats.
- 05/2014, Dr. Wang was selected to participate in the Writing Fellow Program of Center for Teaching and Learning during 2014-15.
- 05/2014, Center for Teaching and Learning awarded a FY2015 Learning Technologies Grant to MMP Lab.
- 05/2014, Liuyang published a journal paper on Journal of Applied Physics. Congrats.
- 04/2014, Office of the Vice President for Research awarded a 2015 Faculty Research Grant to MMP Lab.
- 04/2014, Office of Vice President for Instruction awarded a Summer 2014 Innovative Instruction Faculty Grants to MMP Lab.
- 02/2014, Office of the Provost (UGA) awarded a Summer 2014 Research Grant to MMP Lab.
- 01/2014, Matthew published a journal paper on Journal of Chemical Theory and Computation. Congrats.
- 01/2014, Matthew and Liuyang published a journal paper on Journal of Nanomechanics and Micromechanics. Congrats.
- 01/2014, Matthew and Jalil join our research group as graduate students. Welcome.
- 11/2013, Liuyang publised a journal paper on Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. Congrats.
- 11/2013, Dr. Wang published a journal paper on Chemical Physics Letters.
- 10/2013, Liuyang published a journal paper on Scientific Reports. Congrats.
- 10/2013, Chidi (undergraduate) won the first place in the poster competition at the 8th annual fall Peach State LSAMP national symposium and research conference. Congrats.
- 09/2013, NSF awards a three-year research grant to MMP Lab.
- 08/2013, Matthew (undergraduate) and Liuyang, publish a journal paper on Chemical Physics Letters. Congrats.
- 08/2013, Office of STEM Education (UGA) awards a mini-grant on our education research.
- 07/2013, Dr Wang with his colleague, Professor Nima Rahbar, organizes a mini-symposium on the 50th Annual Technical Meeting ASME-AMD Annual Summer Meeting held at Providence, RI (USA).
- 07/2013, Dr Wang with his colleagues, Professor James D. Lee and Professor James Chen, organizes a mini-symposium on the 12th US National Congress of Computational Mechanics held at Raleigh, NC (USA).
- 07/2013, Dr. Zhigang Sun, an Associate Professor from NUAA (China), joins our research group as visiting scholar for a year. Welcome!
- 06/2013, Professor Wang is awarded the NSF Summer Institute Fellowship to attend the Materials Genome Short Course.
- 05/2013, Professor Wang is awarded the UGA Provost Travel Funds to attend the conference.
- 05/2013, Professor Wang's son, Hong-Yi, was born. How excited the summer it is.
- 02/2013, Matthew Becton, an undergraduate student from engineering, joins our research group as a part-time researcher. Welcome!
- 01/2013, Liuyang Zhang joins Professor Wang's research group as the first PhD student. Welcome!
- 11/2012, Professor Wang joins Graphene, an international open journal as a member of editorial board.
- 10/2012, Professor Wang joins Nanoscale Science and Engineering Center (NanoSEC) of UGA as a member.
- 09/2012, Professor Wang with his colleague, Professor James Lee, organizes a mini-symposium on the International Workshop on Computational Mechanics of Materials held at Baltimore, MD (USA).
- 08/2012, Xianqiao Wang joins the College of Engineering as an Assistant Professor.